Try this new Spanakopita recipe tonight with your family using Apollo’s Gift Lactose Free Cheese!
What you’ll need:
- 4 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 lb. filo dough, thawed to room temperature
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 sticks margarine, divided
- 6 eggs
- 8 oz Apollo’s Gift lactose free Mozzarella Jack, shredded or finely chopped
- freshly ground sea salt and pepper
- Thaw and drain the spinach, squeezing out as much moisture as possible. Set it aside.
- Thaw the filo dough according to the directions on the package.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice the onion. Melt 2 tablespoons of margarine in a heavy bottomed skillet on medium to medium-low. Sauté the onions until they are tender but not browned, approximately 7 – 10 minutes.
- Shred the Apollo’s Gift Mozzarella Jack. In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach, eggs, cheese, onions, and salt and pepper.
- Melt the remaining margarine in a small bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Grease the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking pan by drizzling enough of the melted margarine to coat it. Gently place one sheet of filo on the bottom of the pan. Brush the dough lightly with margarine. Using 1/2 of the filo sheets, continue layering the sheets, drizzling/brushing each sheet with a little margarine before adding the next sheet.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly on to the bottom layers of the filo sheets.
- Top with the remaining filo sheets, layering and drizzling/brushing the tops of each one with margarine as before.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees and then lower the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Remove it from the oven and let it rest 15 minutes before cutting.