Reaching for comfort food during these chilly winter days? Try whipping up some Mac & (Lactose Free) Cheese with Apollo’s Gift!
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 6 oz. uncured, lightly smoked bacon, crumbled
- 16 oz Apollo’s Gift lactose free Mozzarella Jack, shredded or finely chopped
- 7 T margarine, divided
- 1 1/2 c fresh bread crumbs
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/4 c flour
- freshly ground sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 t dry mustard
- 3 c whole lactose free milk
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil over high heat. Add the pasta. Cook until the pasta is just al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, cook the bacon according to the package until it is crispy, but not overdone. Set it aside. Once it is cool, crumble the bacon into small pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 3 quart baking dish with margarine.
- Shred or finely chop 4 cups of Apollo’s Gift and set it aside.
- In a large frying pan, melt 3 tablespoons of margarine over medium-low heat. Add the bread crumbs, mixing until the bread crumbs are coated. Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the crumbs are lightly toasted. Set them aside.
- In the large pot used for cooking the pasta, add the remaining 4 tablespoons of margarine. Melt the margarine over medium heat. Add the minced shallots and cook for approximately 3 minutes until the shallots are tender, but not browned.
- Add 1/4 cup flour to the shallot mixture, stirring to form a paste. Add freshly ground sea salt and pepper. Add the ground mustard. Cook the flour mixture approximately 1 minute until it starts to bubble and the spices begin to release their flavor.
- Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently, until it begins to thicken. Remove the pan from the heat and add the shredded cheese, stirring until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce. Mix well. Adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Spoon the pasta into the greased baking dish.
- Top with the crumbled bacon. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the bacon.
- Bake the Mac & Cheese until the sauce is bubbly, approximately 20 minutes.