A lactose-free and tasty spin on the chicken enchilada.
What you’ll need:
- 6 c water
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into large chunks
- 3 large cloves of garlic, cut into large chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 t black peppercorns
- 1/3 c fresh cilantro, finely chipped
- 2 4oz can of mild dices green chiles
- 8 oz Apollo’s Gift lactose free Mozzarella Jack, shredded, divided
- 2 10oz cans of milk red chile enchilada sauce
- 9 flour tortillas
- Place the water, chicken, onions, garlic, celery, salt, and peppercorns into a heavy bottomed pot. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked, approximately 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. When it is cool enough to handle, shred it by gently pulling it apart with a fork. Place the chicken into a mixing bowl.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the onions, garlic, and celery out of the stock, letting the liquid drain back into the pot. Transfer the vegetables to the cutting board to finely chop them. Add the vegetables to the mixing bowl. Reserve the stock.
- Chop the cilantro and add it to the chicken and vegetable mixture. Add the green chiles. Mix well.
- Shred the Apollo’s Gift Mozzarella Jack. Set 1 cup of the cheese aside for the topping. Add the remaining cheese to the chicken mixture and mix well.
- Coat the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with approximately 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce.
- To assemble the enchiladas, place one tortilla on your work surface. Place approximately 1/9 of the chicken mixture down the center of the tortilla. Roll up the tortilla and place it seam side down in the baking dish. Continue filling and rolling the remaining tortillas, lining them in the baking pan. Pour 1/2 cup of the reserved chicken stock evenly over the rolled tortillas. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted.